The Facebook Data Science Team calculated which MLB players were mentioned most in conversations on the social network from April 29 through July 2, the league’s voting period for All-Stars.
The 2015 MLB All-Star Game will be held Tuesday (July 14) at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati.
Here were Facebook’s American League starters, with the actual starters listed in parentheses afterward:
- Catcher: Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals (Perez)
- First Base: Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers (Cabrera)
- Second Base: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros (Altuve)
- Shortstop: Jose Reyes, Toronto Blue Jays (Alcides Escobar, Royals)
- Third Base: Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays (Donaldson)
- Outfield: Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; Torii Hunter, Minnesota Twins; Carlos Beltran, New York Yankees (Trout; Lorenzo Cain, Royals; Alex Gordon, Royals)
- Designated Hitter: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees (Nelson Cruz, Seattle Mariners)
Here were Facebook’s National League starters, with the actual starters listed in parentheses afterward:
- Catcher: Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants (Posey)
- First Base: Adrian Gonzalez, Los Angeles Dodgers (Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Second Base: Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati Reds (Dee Gordon, Miami Marlins)
- Shortstop: Brandon Crawford, Giants (Jhonny Peralta, St. Louis Cardinals)
- Third Base: David Wright, New York Mets (Todd Frazier, Reds)
- Outfield: Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals; Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates; Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins (Harper; Matt Holiday, Cardinals; Stanton)
The Facebook Data Science Team also prepared the fandom map below, illustrating AL and NL fandom at the county level.
Readers: Are you ready for the 2015 All-Star Game?